Sunday, January 17, 2010

Glenn Doman & IAHP

In June of 2006 my Dad brought home a book from the library called What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child by Glenn Doman. My Mom read it in one day and bought two copies to send to us. When we arrived home from our vacation they were waiting for us. My brother and his wife were expecting their third child to be born at this time so Kevin and I left home to visit my family and wait for my niece to be born. I read the book while I was out of town and told Jon to do the same. I instructed him to come home from work and read the book, not to do any yard work only read the book. We both read the book and we would call each other and say “this makes so much sense.” It answered questions that no one else was able to answer, no matter how many doctors and professionals we asked.

After reading Glenn Doman’s book we immediately began patterning on the day that my niece was born, June 19, 2006 and started giving Kevin lots of floor time. We began seeing immediate results with an increase in his left leg bending during play while on his tummy. When Kevin and I returned home we visited our neighbors and told them about this book we had read and that we would need their help patterning. I also made a flyer to pass out at our church picnic that was that next weekend.

On July 9, 2006 we built the inclined floor to begin using with Kevin. And on July 13, 2006, we observed Kevin crawl for the first time! He still preferred to roll while on the floor to get from toy to toy. But if given the right motivation, he would reach and push in a crawling motion.


After reading the book I didn’t feel like it was too late to help Kevin become a well child. And after implementing the treatments described in the book and seeing immediate results, I had hope! We saw more in three months than we had his whole life.

I was excited to learn that Glenn Doman and his staff were still teaching parents how to treat their brain-injured children and I contacted them immediately at The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philadelphia, PA.

In September 2006, my husband and I attended the What to Do About Your Brain-Injured Child Course. This was an intense five-day parent course. I vividly remember Glenn Doman walking into the lecture hall on that first day. This man of 87 years has dedicated his life to helping brain injured kids and every mother had tears running down her cheeks and every father had tears in his eyes.

We were also very fortunate to be accepted into the Aspirant Program and were able to be seen on September 25 and 26, 2006 (the week after our course). This enabled us to bring Kevin to The Institutes for an evaluation by the staff and they designed an individual treatment program for us to follow at home.

Kevin’s functional diagnosis at this visit revealed a severe degree of injury to the brain. The extent of injury was diffuse, affecting all six functions of the brain. The laterality of the injury was bilateral, the right hemisphere more than the left. And the level of injury was the midbrain and some of the cortex. During Kevin’s evaluation we also determined his level of development in June of 2006 before we began patterning and for his first visit in September 2006. In September 2006 Kevin was 23 months old and his neurological age was an 8 month old, growing 2 months in the 3 months time of programming we had accomplished on our own.

The staff at The Institutes, teach parents how to significantly increase our child’s mobility, intelligence, and social growth, and to improve their health, and physical growth. The Institutes believes that parents are the best therapists. We can provide an ideal environment for them at home. We are currently on The Institutes Intensive Treatment Program and we return to Philadelphia every six months to have Kevin re-evaluated and update his treatment program. He has made tremendous progress in his development since following the program.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I just came across your blog. It looks like you've had success with Doman's ideas. Do you feel it helpful to get evaluated at IAHP? Was it expensive? I just finished reading his book this week and have implemented some of his ideas.
    My baby girl also has CP. She has been the greatest blessing of my life. http://resistingserendipity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I am so glad that you found Glenn Doman's book. This is when we considered Kevin's Healing Journey began. I would love to talk with you more & answer your questions. Please email me & we can swap phone numbers. Jkkhudak@gmail.com
      Blessings to you & your daughter

      Delete