Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Blessings

Knowing that I wanted to be a mother so desperately and possibly receiving this once-in-a-life-time opportunity, I am thankful that God has provided me with the opportunity to have nearly every single moment with Kevin. I feel blessed that God has given me purpose in my life and has given me the most important job in the world, to help Kevin get well. I feel lucky to have the excuse of our program to cut the other things out of our lives and stay home and enjoy spending my time as a mother to Kevin and a wife to Jon. While some days are difficult and challenging, I am reminded of God’s love when Kevin gives me his “healing hug.” God could not have picked a more perfect child to give me to be the mother of.

I remember thinking the first time we went to The Institutes that our visit would be worth it if they could just help us to get Kevin eating well, I would be happy with that. That happened within a month after our first visit. Then I wanted to successfully wean Kevin from his seizure medications without having seizures. When that happened I was thrilled but wanted more. I wanted to see the physical dream of crawling to creeping to walking. I am ecstatic that Kevin has achieved all these dreams and more but it wasn’t long after he began walking that I thought…wouldn’t it be great if Kevin could communicate to us by talking. The Institutes has been treating hurt kids for more than 50 years and they know and anticipate everything there is to know. In fact they even talked about this “wanting more” in our first week of lectures. So we will continue to work hard and follow the superb direction that we receive from our friends at The Institutes.

Glenn Doman begins his lectures by asking the parents “Are you surviving?” and when we respond yes he says “Good, that’s the name of the game.” I am also trying to remember that he says we have to look both ways…how far we have to go AND how far we have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment