Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Am I where I am supposed to be?

During our revisit to FHC this past April, Matthew asked if I could come back, by myself, to learn Myofascial Release Therapy, this would help release strain in Kevin’s body.  Of course, I agreed to learn something new that would further help Kevin’s healing journey.  We all felt like this would benefit Kevin greatly, especially in regards to his current left foot problems.  But Matthew was very clear that I was to come alone and he also told me not to do any research on this therapy before coming.  But I did cheat a little because I wanted to at least have a better idea of what is fascia.  Dr. Barry (the doctor that does craniosacral sessions with myofascial release during our visits at FHC) describes it as…“The fascia (not facial or of the face) is a thick layer of tissue somewhat like plastic wrap that fuses with the muscle tissue. Fascia forms a web that attaches to every structure in the body. It can become distorted and rigid from trauma and inflammation, causing tension and pain.”
Do you ever have the feeling like I’m not sure if this is where I am supposed to be?  This is how I felt.  I wanted to learn this new therapy, but Dr. Barry actually teaches a 3 day seminar on it, and I was going to observe and learn in 2 days by hanging around FHC.  I didn’t have total confidence in myself that I could do this without “formal” instruction. Besides the fact that, some of the families at FHC had taken Dr. Barry’s seminar and I was there observing and learning on my own terms, on their kids.  It just made me feel a little unsure.  But I tried to keep my mind off that part of it while I was there learning and observing.   
I arrived at FHC by late afternoon, to observe Dr. Barry giving treatments to the kids.  It was a little difficult coming up with questions when I wasn’t exactly sure what I was observing, because the thing I kept hearing over and over again was that you had to clear your mind and let the body (that you are treating) talk to you.  Oh boy!  Well I have to say that if I had not been practicing yoga and meditation for the last year I would have been like, you want me to do what!? 
Some of the staff at FHC have also learned this therapy.  I spent a little time with Greg that first day and he did a little therapy on me and he also talked me through doing some on him.  On day two (my final day) I observed Greg and Maria giving treatments to the various kids being seen that day.  They would put my hands under their hands or sometimes let me try it on one part of the body.  By the end of the day, I began to feel like I had just an inkling of what I was supposed to be doing.  But everyone kept saying that I would just need experience doing it and the more people I practice on the better I will get. 
Okay, so back to this feeling of “am I where I am supposed to be, because I’m not sure if I am getting this new therapy!?”  But what I did get out of my visit was that I met several new families.  One family from Ohio with an enchanting son who is about a year younger than Kevin!  And the Dad has taken Dr. Barry’s seminar.  So I felt much more at ease knowing that there would be someone (within an hour’s drive) that could give me support when I need it.  It is also comforting to know fellow families that are doing the program to give each other support and motivation along our journey. 
Another plus to being at FHC a month after our revisit was that I was able to touch base with all the team members and give updates on what was working and not working in regards to the new program...which has proven to be very beneficial.

Another thing that made me feel like I was where I was supposed (and this may seem trivial to some) but the hotel that I stayed in was connected to a Bally’s Gym and as a hotel guest I was able to use free of charge.  So the first night I went over to check it out.  I asked if they had any yoga classes and they just happened to have a yoga class both nights that I was there!  This was especially nice to have something to do in the evening.  The yoga class was an experience I will never forget as I was surrounded by sweaty smells, and the pounding of feet, and clanking of weights, nothing like my familiar yoga class in a charming atmosphere.  But I got what I came for in regards to stretching my body out after a long drive and sitting around most of the day and quieting my mind.  In addition, it was a treat to spend the night in a hotel all by myself (a first for me!) and I really enjoyed my drive to Philly on my own (I got to listen to whatever I wanted to in the car!).
So now I am home and practicing my new therapy.  Jon and Kevin have been my main victims.  But I hope to branch out more as I gain more confidence.  The first time I practiced on Jon, I was able to listen to his body tell me where his old injuries were in his shoulder and knee.  And one day last week I felt a “release” in Kevin’s left shoulder!
So in answer to the question...Am I where I am supposed to be?...ABSOLUTELY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just came across your blog while searching for IAHP. I used to work with a little boy who went there. I stopped when I went off to college. I'm very interested in trying to find a family that could use me for patterning, or just working a program in general. I'm 32 now, but it's something that is very much on my heart. I see you live in Ohio. I live in Northern KY. I was hoping maybe you live near me, or know of a family that does that I could contact and work wtih. I really miss seeing the amazing accomplishments achieved through the IAHP programs. If you have a minute, and could e-mail me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Lisa
    lisa_pooh_98@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete