Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I WANT SUNBUTTER!

So Kevin and I were doing our weekly shopping at our favorite market, Mustard Seed Market.  Most of the items we need are found in the perimeter of the store and we don't need to go down the aisles very often, but when I do, Kevin usually waits for me with the cart at the end of the aisle.  But one day, we were walking by and Kevin stopped pushing the cart and very purposefully went into the aisle that shelves the peanut butter jars.  He had quickly spotted the Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds and tastes delicious) jar but it was a shelf too high for his reach.  Kevin made it clear (with no words) that he was NOT leaving until he got that jar of Sunbutter to put in the cart.  Now I had a jar of Sunbutter in the fridge at home and one in the cupboard, but Kevin rarely asks for anything and he frankly was not leaving until he had that Sunbutter jar.  I was a little concerned that I might have given in too easily and I didn't want him to think he would be getting a jar of Sunbutter every week.  Later that day when it was time for a snack he got apples and Sunbutter, he was so happy!  I actually couldn't remember the last time he had Sunbutter for a snack, so I began giving him some with apples everyday at snack time.  And in case you're wondering if he asked for another jar of Sunbutter the next time we went to the Market, the answer is no.  Kevin was obviously, using this as a way to communicate to me that he wanted some Sunbutter, gosh darn it! Then I got to thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Kevin could have a Sunbutter sandwich!  So I bought a loaf of spelt bread at the farmer's market that weekend, Kevin loved eating the Sunbutter on the bread, but unfortunately his lips swelled up which means he was allergic to the spelt.  After that, I bought a Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Bread Mix that I made.  Well as you can see from my photo it didn't rise but Kevin ate it non the less and no swollen lips.  I'm still a little leery of using the bread so we use apples and carrots instead.  I will probably try the bread again, because I think it would be so great if I could give him a Sunbutter sandwich when we are traveling in the car.

I WANT SUNBUTTER!!!

More bread with Sunbutter please...even though my lips are swelling

My version of Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Bread

4 comments:

  1. That is sweet and precious. I might just have to try sun butter. Never have I heard of it!
    This is gretchen by the way........not sure why Page's name came up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gretchen. You & your kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Kevin! Even though you have the best most dedicated Mom in the world, sometimes she needs to be told what you want! Read it with tears, of joy.
    Lynn Ocilka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn! Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete