Friday, December 13, 2013

Crawling & Creeping Cooperation

Well, believe it or not…Jon was the first one to get Kevin to creep on hands and knees 100 laps, that’s 2 kilometers in a day, our goal!!! But that day did not include the rest of the program which includes 20 laps (400 meters) of belly crawling, reflex integration, and the sensory and learning programs. Jon took over yesterday because I had a bad case of vertigo and couldn’t move without feeling nauseous. While I was upstairs, I heard a couple rough patches but overall it sounded like Kevin and his Dad had a good day! This gave me a great peace of mind to know that Kevin was still getting program even though I was laid up in bed.

On a normal day, the new program is going very well and I am so proud of Kevin! I was a little nervous about how we were going to get him to double his crawling distance and increase his creeping distance 10 times. As I reported in my last post, on the first day of our new program he met his crawling goal and continues to do so daily. We continue to steadily increase our creeping distance and are currently at about 1300 meters.

Jon and I have discussed this great cooperation level from Kevin and we believe that as he sat in at each individual meeting with the staff at FHC for his new program, there must be some new understanding going on. This is so encouraging and with all the crawling and creeping we are doing we may see even more brain organization to help him make more and more connections in daily life. 

As we continue to increase our creeping goal, our day becomes fuller and fuller. Jon begins with a set of 20 creeping laps (400 meters) first thing in the morning before leaving for work. And we are still doing laps after it has turned dark outside. It is especially nice having the Christmas decorations up now, which adds some extra light in and outside the house for these long full days. Something that surprised me was that I don’t even have to do all the creeping with Kevin, he will let me walk in front of him and I found this is a great opportunity to use sign language with him. Kevin likes to take a break from crawling and creeping laps for some learning time at the table. I have even asked his daily helpers to bring a book to sign to Kevin after his crawling session. I love the fact that everyone has been so willing to learn some basic signs so that he can see others use sign language. 

PS - We have Kevin’s foot surgery date scheduled with Dr. Joe on February 15.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you were sick but how wonderful for you to realize that you can take a little break and Kevin keeps going! You all continue to be an inspiration to me. Hope our holidays are filled with joy and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! Merry Christmas to you & family.

    ReplyDelete