Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Kevin's FHC Revisit May 7&8, 2014

Kevin is 9 years old and we have returned from our ninth visit at The Family Hope Center in Norristown, Pennsylvania. Kevin made 7 qualitative changes on the Integrative and Developmental Progression Chart. It was no surprise that there were no significant changes on the chart especially because of the special circumstances we have had during this six month period. I had some bad days before needing a hysterectomy on February 12 which included a very long and continuous recovery. And Kevin had the hyprocure/foot surgery on April 12, four weeks before our revisit.

During the first day of our FHC revisit, we had a couple additional sessions, which made for a long day only leaving at 7:00 pm. Kevin got a much needed allergy clearing with Matthew because he had some severe environmental allergy reactions this six month period. Kevin did really well throughout the second day without having food until 6:00 pm, which is required of the allergy clearing. Greg also gave me a brain therapy session which seems to have helped my breath and hopefully some other areas I was struggling with after my recovery. 

I met a fellow FHC Mom at our revisit that had found my blog a few months ago (makes me so happy to hear that people read it!). She had contacted me looking for a carbogen source. She lives in Michigan and I was able to provide her with our local contact. I was very delighted to meet this incredible Mom and her two amazing daughters. I love forming friendships and support with other Moms on the program. I hope to connect with her again.

During my recovery from surgery this six month period, we discovered some concerning areas in Kevin’s development. You may have heard the “sock story” that prompted this concern. I had asked Kevin to take my socks off and he was unable to understand what I was asking of him despite the fact that I was giving him all kinds of cues by pointing and using sign language. It was baffling because I know he knows what socks are because Kevin will not go to bed without socks on his feet and he can take his own socks off his feet. After this realization, we began asking Kevin to do various and spontaneous tasks around the house because it seemed that if the request was a part of the routine he understood it. For instance, after eating a meal at the dining room table we began to ask Kevin to take his dish and put it in the kitchen sink, after asking this a couple times and showing him how to do it he was able to do it based on context and routine. But if he was in the family room and was asked to put his snack dish in the kitchen sink, he was unable to understand this every time we asked him, even after showing him. This was very frustrating and disheartening to discover. So it seems that Kevin can pick up easily on repetitions and routines but he has difficulty transitioning it to other situations. And if you have spent any time in our house you know our home life is all about routine.

After discussing our concerns during Kevin’s evaluation we determined that for the next six months his order of neurological objectives to achieve wellness is first Social, then Physiological, Intellectual, and lastly Physical. Our programs will be: Developing Self and Self Control (this is to help develop our big area of concern); Sensory Stimulation; as always Nutrition; of course the Hyperbaric Therapy; and Physical which includes Balance Development (some of you who have been with us from the beginning may remember this balance program we did with Kevin in the basement), Crawling, Reflex Integration, and Inerventions (this is the new Mollii Suit that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks from Sweden), and Sign Language and Learning Program. 

I am looking forward to the next six months and the changes we will see in Kevin physically after his hyprocure surgery and implementing the new Mollii Suit. After the first two months of program, I will be thrilled to get outside and begin walking with Kevin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment