Monday, December 8, 2014

Kevin's Snack Bars

When my niece's were visiting over the summer they found some dates in my cupboard and asked if we could make "Lara Bars". We quickly concluded that we could substitute the nuts for seeds in the recipe and chocolate chips for craisins so that Kevin could enjoy them too. This is the first real snack food (besides fruit) that Kevin has ever had and it immediately became his favorite.

1 1/2 cups dates, pitted
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/3 cup crasins
I ground the seeds first then the dates. Combine ingredients together in a good food processor until the mixture sticks together. Add in the craisins until combined into mixture. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper and press mixture into pan. Refrigerate. Cut into squares. 


On a recent Saturday, Kevin was off doing his own thing while I was in the kitchen making his snack bars for our upcoming travels and holiday. Once I began pressing the mixture into the pan, he was wiggling his way under my arms to get his hands in it so he could have a taste, or two, or three. I loved having this experience of Kevin getting "under foot" while I was working in the kitchen on a treat he wanted to eat. And it amazes me that Kevin automatically knows what he can have and not have to eat without me telling him.




1 comment: