Monday, May 23, 2016

Handicap Accessible

We recently began aquatic therapy through our children's hospital at a local gym/swim facility that has a therapy pool. Upon arriving for our first session I was surprised to find the facility not very handicap accessible, especially for a parent with an opposite sex child. The entrance/exit doors to the facility do not have handicap door openers and neither do any other doors I need to use in the facility. As a Mom going to aquatic therapy with my 11 year old son - we require a family changing room because I can't bring an opposite sex child into the locker room with me. A family changing room is provided in the swimming pool area but it is merely a room with a bench - no toilet, no shower. I can't leave my son in the pool area by himself when I need to use the restroom or shower. After our first therapy session I found out there is another family changing room that is located near the outdoor pool - which is not close to the indoor pool especially with wet suits. This family changing room is not private but a locker room with a few shower stalls. The shower stalls did not provide a chair. And once the outdoor pool is open for the season, the family chaining room will be in use with other families. I am unable to discreetly change him on the one bench provided out in the open. I found it very surprising that we were the first family that needed these accommodations at aquatic therapy. It is worth the hassle for the benefits of the therapy. But I find myself asking is it too much to expect to be able to offer my son a shower after swimming? I have made my concerns known to our therapist, the facility, and the hospital's therapy department and have received some response.

A couple weeks later we had a therapy appointment at children's hospital and I needed to use the restroom. I was surprised again to realize that the hospital did not offer a family restroom. So when I needed to use the restroom, I had to bring Kevin inside the women's restroom which did not have handicap door openers for two of the restrooms I visited. I was surprised that here at the hospital where disabled people often need to visit they do not offer a family restroom or an option to conveniently and privately change my son.

I began noticing posts in my Facebook newsfeed raising awareness for "Changing Places Toilets" to assist disabled people and caregivers. These restrooms would be similar to the private family restrooms that we can find in some public places but would also include adult size changing table and other conveniences for those with disabilities.

I share this post to help raise awareness. It's something to think about and be aware as you come across people in public with disabilities. I never realized how much we alter our life around this, it was a reality check for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment