Wednesday, January 30, 2019

2018 Books and Learning Materials

Some of our favorite books to use with the Talker. The books have many core words that repeat throughout the book that are good opportunities for Kevin to use his Talker to participate in reading the book along with me.

GO DOG GO has a favorite bit that repeats throughout the book and it makes Kevin laugh...sometimes I even add different hats to play along for fun.

Words: hello, goodbye, like, not
More Words: go, dog, big, little, in, out, up, down, over, under, stop, night, play, sleep, colors,




BEAR WANTS MORE - February 2018
While we were at the table, Kevin said BEAR and I used it as an opportunity to place meaning to it. I brought out the books Bear Wants More and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See and let him choose. He chose Bear Wants More. I had him say/read the two word phrase “WANT MORE” throughout the story. When the story was ALL DONE, Kevin said BEAR WANT BOOK…so we read it again!
Reading Bear Wants More
with Marissa's fabulous character voices
The next day (with a different helper) Kevin said BEAR again and I prompted him. What about BEAR? Kevin said BOOK. My helper Kristen H. is a very good reader because she points things out on the page while reading the story. Of course Kevin wanted to read the book again and when she read "Bear wants..." we were waiting for Kevin to say MORE but instead he said EAT. Of course, Yes, the Bear Wants to EAT!!!! I love this one!


PUT ME IN THE ZOO - Thanks to Grandma we have another fun felt board story. 


We have two book shelves of learning materials in all subject areas thanks to the many many generous family, neighbor friends, church friends, work friends, students and anyone else I could recruit to make Bit Cards for Kevin when we were in the early program years. A Bit card is encyclopedic knowledge with 10 facts on a specific subject. We had over 10,000 bit cards at one time, but about a year ago I weeded through some of them to allow more room to browse through the cramped book shelves. I am very grateful to have our very own library of knowledge at my fingertips. Grandma has been guiding Kevin through the States and Presidents and supplements with fun books she finds at the library and bookstores.


UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: State, Flag, Bird, Flower, and Tree



US PRESIDENTS and FIRST LADIES




No comments:

Post a Comment