Monday, January 14, 2019

Hocking Hills - October 18-21, 2018

Fall is a favorite time of year for us. Jon and I met 27 years ago in the fall, our freshman year, Homecoming weekend at Ohio University in Athens. This year we had a free weekend during OU's Homecoming and we decided to make a family weekend out of it. We stayed at Burr Oak State Park Lodge. 

On Friday, we drove to Hocking Hills State Park. I wasn't sure how much we would be able to do in Hocking Hills with Kevin but we thought we would try the parks that have accessible trails. 

Our first stop was Ash Cave. They have an accessible 1/4 mile trail to the cave. Once we got to the cave we took photos and explored a bit. There was a staircase that looked like an adventure so I thought we'd give it a try and see how far we could go with Kevin. He did great...and loved every step of it!!!








Our next stop in Hocking Hills State Park was Conkle's Hollow Nature Preserve. They had an accessible 3/4 mile trail with an extra jaunt along a rugged rocky path to a waterfall. We felt like being adventuresome again and gave it a try. Success! 

Kevin surpassed my expectations and I was thrilled! In fact, I think Kevin enjoyed the rugged rocky part of our walks more than the accessible trail. I couldn't help thinking his adventure hikes were like Physical Therapy come to life. There was even a point in our adventure where Kevin had to walk on a board across a creek...just like the balance beam in therapy! So cool and so much family fun!




After our hiking adventures we drove to the Circleville Pumpkin Show. We parked. We saw big pumpkins, a parade with marching bands and pets dressed up in costumes, and hundreds of food vendors. We didn't stay long...it wasn't really our thing. 



After we returned to the lodge my best friend from high school met us for dinner. She had recently moved to the area so it was a bonus to see her and catch up. 

Saturday morning we headed to OU for the Homecoming Parade to watch the Marching 110 and Alumni Band. Afterwards we walked around campus and Jon stopped in every t-shrit shop on Court Street. Jon bought himself a new coat to replace the one he bought a couple decades ago during a Homecoming trip to OU. I liked the old coat too and would try to wear it when he wasn't and sometimes when he was. So when I saw his new coat...I said maybe I should get one too so I didn't take his...so I did. As we were walking away from the store...I jokingly said...we probably should've gotten Kevin one too...so we turned around and now we are the cheesy green coat family trio!







On Sunday we drove around Burr Oak State Park grounds before driving home. It was a great weekend together with lots of fun adventures! We're looking forward to going back one day and trying the other accessible trail at Old Man's Cave.


No comments:

Post a Comment