Monday, August 18, 2014

Magic X3

Three important things have significantly improved in Kevin’s life within the last 3 months since our revisit. Three things that have been prayed for daily. And three things that a lot of time and hard work have been spent on for several years. So it almost seems like magic when they suddenly appear.

1. Lycopodium - I believe this is the magic puzzle piece to achieving daily BM’s with Kevin. Lycopodium Clavicum is a homeopathic remedy that I am pretty certain may be what is making this a success right now. There is still work to be done in this area, that you probably don’t want to read about, but I am relieved that he is going and no colonic visits since May. 

2. Time Out - We have tried several Time Out variations over the years but it never seemed to be effective until now. We recently began belly crawling (army crawl) again - probably our least favorite program activity but one of the most important programs needed for brain injured kids. A few days into the crawling he just laid down and refused. We were both being stubborn and I didn’t want him to think he could get away with not doing laps so I proceeded to push him from behind as I am already placing his feet in proper position for the toe dig. The next day, my chronically sore shoulder was in a lot more pain. So the next time Kevin refused to crawl I knew I needed to find another way. So I took him to his room for a 10 minute Time Out. Afterwards, he came back downstairs and finished his crawling with no complaints. I have used this a few times this week and it really feels like magic! Anytime, he begins to refuse, I ask him if he needs a break, he very willingly walks up to his room and sits in his chair (he only has a bed and chair in his room), and after 5-10 minutes I open the door and he walks down the stairs and immediately gets on the floor to crawl and finish his laps. Something has clicked in his brain and I love that it happens so peacefully. 

3. Solisten - Kevin had his third session with the Solisten headphones at the end of May and he immediately began making verbal sounds. The headphones are only used for 13 days but making sounds has continued to progress. In fact, that bad gulping habit he had has significantly decreased and been replaced by babbling. It is magical and is music to my ears. In fact, music is sometimes exactly what it sounds like when he is making verbal sounds. He even started repeating a babble that sounds just like the popular four-notes from Beethoven’s 5th Symphony “short-short-short-long”. I haven’t caught that on video yet, but I did capture another favorite babble/singsong he has repeated for us. Click on the link below to hear these wonderful and happy sounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment