Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Very Special Mother's Day

It’s been two weeks since my sister and I heard Kevin say “Bye” - it takes a lot of patience to wait for the next time.

I attended a day retreat at my church yesterday. During one of our group discussions I began sharing and ended up crying about something that I didn’t even know was bothering me. I think all special needs moms must have these feelings of being left out of the “normal” on holidays. Mother’s Day isn’t even a big holiday like Christmas. But it is a day that I longed to be a part of for so long as we prayed for a baby. Sometimes I feel left out when I hear about homemade gifts kids give their moms on this special day. I thought I had these feelings under control but I guess they can show up unexpectantly. I know I have plenty to be thankful for and I cherish being Kevin’s mom. I just have to get out of my head of what is normal, because I know normal isn’t always normal, and I can make my own normal. 

So Kevin and I were snuggling in bed this am, my favorite thing to do, and I was thinking this is a great Mother’s Day. I am happy, content, and so loved. After watching Sesame Street and half way through a Thomas the Train show, Kevin started making his way to the side of the bed, making moves that he was done and wanted to leave. And then he started SAYING “BYE”. I halted his verbals somewhat by grabbing my phone to try to record it but I did get one of his “bye” recorded. YEAH!!! I did receive a very special gift today for Mother’s Day and I wanted to share it with all of you. 


I think every mom just wants to feel loved and special on Mother’s Day. And I feel so special right now. Grandee (my mom) said it best, “Bye”, never made me so happy!”

Kevin and I visited Grandma today. When we were leaving, I was trying to get him to say “bye” to Grandma but he didn’t start until after we had left and at the end of the street. But he did say it again, and again, and again!!!


On the way home, we stopped at Trader Joe’s. Kevin gave me another big lasting smile when he saw the man on stilts. Man on stilts instantly became Kevin's new best friend. Kevin was always watching to see where he was in the store. He probably came up to Kevin four different times before we left the store. Another guy working in the produce section witnessed Kevin's initial sighting of the man on stilts, he said he had tears in his eyes watching Kevin. What a blessing! I don't know what I think I'm missing out on, I think some people may be missing out on our "normal". 






4 comments:

  1. You're such an awesome Mom, Karen - and Kevin knows he's fortunate to have you and Jon (and the rest of the family). HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! BYE, KEVIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day too! I finally figured out who KC is...I think...I will send you a PM on FB to be sure. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you hit the nail on the head Karen - your normal is what some many of us are missing. God's blessings to you in abundance - you are an amazing mom and God knew what He was doing when He chose you for His Kevin's mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane for your kind words and encouragement. Hope all is well with you and your family. I do miss those Wednesday mornings! Tell the ladies I said hello!

      Delete