Monday, June 22, 2015

Saint Kevin - Feast Day June 3



My Dad’s big hobby is carving and whittling and he carved an Irish looking guy that he was working on during our last visit in March. I put the Irish guy in the cabinet next to some other carved treasures. 

On June 3rd, I received a message from my Mom telling me that it was Saint Kevin’s feast day. I remembered that I had his holy card, given to us by our friend Ms. Louise (Louise the Breeze) from her visit to the Holy Land a couple years ago. I displayed the card on the mantle in our program room. A day or two later I happened to see the carved Irish guy in the cabinet and was tickled by how much it resembled the picture of Saint Kevin (born in Ireland) on the holy card. So of course we have named the carved treasure Saint Kevin. 

I remember learning that Saint Kevin was a patron of epilepsy when Kevin was a baby (and having seizures). Here is a brief story given on the holy card: 

“A young man with severe epilepsy had a dream that he would be cured by eating an apple but none were to be found. Kevin ordered a willow tree t0 produce apples and twenty yellow ones appeared after his request.”

So I guess it shouldn’t surprise us that Kevin loves apples and some of you may remember “apple” was the first sign he learned. 




No comments:

Post a Comment