Saturday, March 25, 2017

Talker Update and Verbal Sounds

I think I figured out why Kevin chose to have a green cast after his surgery. It had surprised me that  he chose the color green because he almost always picks the color blue on his Talker for anything and everything. But later, I realized that our friend that had surgery a couple months before him had a green cast. We had been showing Kevin pictures of her in her green cast as we were preparing Kevin for his surgery. I think our friend got a kick out of that when I told her.

Kevin still likes to pick the color BLUE on his Talker...and now he uses one of his verbal "b" sounds with it!!! I think this is very exciting that he is using the word on the Talker and his verbal sound together.

Another favorite Talker moment was when we were at physical therapy and getting ready to leave the therapy room. Kevin had used his Talker to say HELLO MY NAME IS KEVIN. I was surprised to see that he had said that because he hasn't used it without prompting...and I was also thinking that Kevin knows the therapist already knows his name. But then I realized there was a boy and his mom in the therapy room with us...and so I think Kevin had used his Talker sentence to introduce himself...how cool is that!!!? He's done this a couple more times when we are out in public. Happy proud mama moment!!!!

Kevin has been using a lot of verbal sounds again lately. He continues to use byeyay, unga, and a variation of b sounds, like bl - for blue. He also added a new sound that is difficult to describe...it's like a low guttural or growl sound...but he uses it as a happy sound. It makes me so happy to hear him use these verbal sounds as babble and for purpose! I hesitate to even say this but I will for the record and hope I don't jinx it...I haven't heard him doing any gulping. As far as the increase and maintaining the verbal sounds the only thing I can think of besides the use of the Talker is that he has consistently been using the Hyperbaric Chamber since his surgery in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment