Saturday, July 1, 2017

One week after Hip Surgery

One week down.
Three more weeks with casts. 
Five more weeks non weight bearing. 
We can do this!

Kevin is doing very well. He is comfortable in the different positions we have found for him on the bed, recliner, couch, bean bag, and porch. He seems to have accepted his new way of life and we have found a new routine at home. We just need to keep him busy and entertained with visitors, toys, movies, books, music, iPad, art and music therapy. Transfers are a little easier as far as planning out the position and route and moving items in the house. When Jon is home, he lifts the the trunk and I lift the legs. When Jon is at work, I take the trunk and the helper lifts the legs. Even though it's not bad lifting Kevin with two people...I was feeling completely exhausted at the end of the day on Thursday and some of Friday. I'm making a good effort to take care of myself and was able to leave the house for a Friday evening yoga class and I had a massage on Tuesday at the house. On the weekends, I'll get a little more of a break with Jon home.

Kevin's left leg began swelling again when we returned home from the hospital. I realized it was due to me fastening the diapers too tight. Oops! I fastened them as usual to avoid leaks but it was too tight around his hip. I stopped Kevin's pain medication Tuesday morning and he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in any pain...except for a couple days on the commode were pretty awful. Despite doing the enemas, it still took Kevin a whole week to have any results. I don't like waiting until Jon is home from work to start this process and God provided the perfect person to help me get it done in the morning. So now we can have a relaxing evening with Jon. 

In preparation for the surgery, we got a 6 foot, 66 pound bean bag lounger, it's filled with squishy foam. On the bean bag, we are able to put Kevin in a position on his belly, so he's not always on his bum. 

My parents left on Wednesday. Jon's mom comes down one day a week to help me out. I've been able to call on friends to help me transfer Kevin during the days and we haven't got stuck yet. We love visitors so please feel free to stop by and say hello, even if you are driving by and can only stay for 5 minutes. It puts a big smile on Kevin's face and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment