Friday, November 3, 2017

OFF HAIR and other Talker Wow Moments

This might be my favorite Talker moment of all time! 




September 20, 2017
Kevin's music therapist arrived for our first session after we returned home from our long rehab stay. We were surprised to see that she had her hair cut short. The first thing Kevin said to her on his Talker was OFF HAIR. I love it!!!

September 26, 2017
It was my birthday and a very busy day. We started the day at the pool at 8AM, it was Grandma day and out to lunch with her, later in the afternoon art and dance at the hospital, dinner out with Dad, and finally at the end of the day we were watching family favorite Wheel of Fortune. As soon as the bonus round was done Kevin said FAST BED. I'm not sure if he meant: Fast forward to the end of the show so I can go to bed; or Get me to bed fast you wore me out today. Either way, we both went to bed.

September 27, 2017
On Wednesday evenings, I attend a book club at my church. Normally, as soon as Jon arrives home I need to leave for my class. But on this particular Wednesday Jon arrived home a little early. The three of us were sitting on the porch and Kevin said GO CHURCH BOOK. HaHaHa, yes it was almost time for me to go to my class...or he was just trying to get rid of me so he could have his Dad time. 

October 18, 2017
Here's a really creative Talker moment. The music therapist had her melodic instrument out to play. She asked Kevin what she needed to do...anticipating that he would say PLAY on his Talker. Instead he said SLOW...which we both immediately understood that it was his creative way of saying Blow (we don't have the word blow on the Talker). When I took a training course for his language program, I learned that kids will find creative ways to say words on their Talker that they may not have available. Blow is often the word she would use when playing this instrument. I love it!



October 25, 2017
First time Kevin initiated and independently said BATHROOM on his Talker since we've been home from hospital and started toilet training. 

Kevin's favorite Talker words during the month of September and October
DOG/ SHEEP DOG - Every time we went back to the hospital for outpatient therapy Kevin said DOG...he really likes those therapy dogs. Then he began to consistently say SHEEP DOG every time. I don't believe we every met a sheep dog at the hospital but we did spend time with a white dog with three legs. Maybe he felt a special connection to this dog. I wish I knew for sure what he meant by sheep dog. He has been pretty persistent with it. 

MUSIC/ NEW MUSIC - This was a word he worked on in therapy and quickly became very good at using around the house. Then he added NEW MUSIC. I finally had to ask for suggestions for new music from his music therapist and dance teacher. I added a new music playlist and now he just says MUSIC so he must be satisfied with the new music selections. The other neat thing is that this is a big motivator for Kevin and he will make the effort to get his Talker and bring it to me to tell me he wants to listen to music. He does this a lot!

I received this message from Kevin's Speech Therapist during a week when it was really uplifting to hear something positive.
"I want to make sure you know how much of Kevin’s progress is really thanks to you and your dedication to him and his new language system. I have yet to meet such a dedicated parent – Kevin is so lucky to have a mother who is so dedicated to helping him learn to communicate. He will continue to learn, grow, and become more and more of an independent communicator because of you."



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I totally agree with the Speech Therapist!

    ReplyDelete