Sunday, February 25, 2018

One Week After Surgery - February 26

It's February 26 one week after Kevin's surgery AND Kevin's Walking Anniversary. This date makes me stop and count my blessings. I feel especially blessed this year remembering how far Kevin has come and this past year of tough decisions and surgeries. Knowing all is well puts a smile on my face. On this day in 2006 (when Kevin was one and a half years old) we went to the healing service at IHM with Dr. Nemeh and I got my first hug from Kevin…it also turned us onto the right path for Kevin’s journey. Three years later, on this same date in 2009, Kevin began taking his first steps which wouldn’t have happened without taking the path we did…and lots of help and hard work. I will never forget that day!!! The Jesus Calling book even uses the words “Step by Step” on this day. It also says to relax and enjoy the journey.

This past week, Kevin has been recovering very quickly from his (right knee) bone growth restriction surgery. He received numbing medicine in his knee during the surgery that lasted 3 days...no additional pain medication was needed. He was super easy to transfer to the wheelchair around the house...bearing weight on his right foot the day OF the surgery. When he was upstairs I had him moving around on his bum or the scooter...and going up and down the steps while sitting (unless Dad carried him up!). On Thursday, we removed the bandage wraps on his leg. The doctor had told us Kevin could walk 7-10 days after surgery...he was very comfortable taking steps on the third and fourth day. I had to call the doctor and make sure it was okay because it was very difficult to hold him back from walking. Yesterday, day six Kevin was going up and down the steps and walking all over the house. We feel very blessed and thankful that this has been so easy. Thank you for your prayers and support!









A couple days before the surgery I was running an errand and happened to go down the toy aisle. A Thomas the Train toy caught my eye. Kevin has a few Thomas toys...but this one played music and I could easily see some therapy and talker benefits with it. It was totally a "mom feels guilty because you have to have your third surgery in 13 months" buy. Kevin likes playing with his new toy!



1 comment: